Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sinking Communication Filth

It has always been a dream of mine to be more assertive and to be bolder and braver. The skills of communication have seemingly slipped from me...

But this semester that might have to change. In our initial roommate meeting, we went around and talked about keeping our apartment clean and some pet peeves that each of us have. My roommates all assured me that they were very clean and knowing that my prior roommates were not they assured me that cleanliness would not be an issue. The pet peeves I mentioned were food in the sink and hair in the shower.

However, there is always food all over our apartment. Worse than last semester. There are some days when I sweep our floor 3 times simply because I cannot stand to walk on it it is so filthy. Every morning as I am the last one up most days, the counters are covered in crumbs and sticky substances. The stoppers in our sink regularly are filled with pieces of carrots and/or broccoli. The stove no matter how many times I wipe it down is filthy by the next time I go to use it.

(my counters this morning when I awoke looked like this)

(Yes friends that is spaghetti sauce on the stove. Gross)

It's not just me right? Sometimes I feel as though I have become a little OCD about being clean, but at the same time all it takes is two seconds for them to clean up after themselves. Needless to say I am not sure how long I can live, cleaning up after them. But how on earth can I get up the courage to say anything to them about it? ::sigh::

5 comments:

Cassott Kinghorn said...

Sorry about the situation. A couple pieces of advice: It might kill your ocd impulses, but if they only see the kitchen clean then they might not realize it gets dirty. This would be me if I were them, so i'm not just guessing. Also, try not to forget that you are paying as much rent as they are, so tell them to start cleaning their crap up. Oh, and hipta.
-Scott

Cassott Kinghorn said...

Scott made me post my own...lol
My thought is that communication doesn't always have to be in your face and to the point. You could walk into the room (with other roommates in the living room) and as you look at the counter ask, "Oh, is someone in the middle of cooking? Cuz it looks like there is half a meal here on the counter still..." They already know you had problems with roommates in the past so they know your desire for cleanliness, just remind them ;)
~Cassie, the cooler one :)

Brooke said...

Since this is a family commentary today.... :) Emily, that's disgusting, unfortunately I feel the same way about my house... You shouldn't have to deal with it, and you're not OCD - just clean. I agree with both Scott and Cassie, you should realize you don't have to put up with it and say something like Cassie suggested. BTW, Yay for gas stoves... :)

John and Kathy said...

I'd go for the humor approach on things. Say what you really want to say but say it in a goofy way that takes the edge off it. i.e.

Holy dirty counters batman!

or

Ewww.....the spaghetti sauce from your dinner last night peed on the stove!

Good luck!

Love Lorri said...

LOVE the HUMOR! I LOVE the ideas EVEN MORE!
GO EMILY GO!