Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fielding Extras

I really just don't have enough time any more. No time to cook (which equals lots of Ramen), no time to sleep, no time to finish all the work I have to do, and not time to even think about how little time I have. I looked at my calender today and nearly had a heart attack when I realized that there are only two weeks left in the semester. That just isn't enough time.

I did so many "extra not in-class hours" things this week that I'm not even sure I can remember them all.
Monday- geology lab field trip to the Menan buttes
Tuesday- saw on campus play "The Rainmaker" for FA 100 credit
Wednesday- watched a geology video on tsunamis, and met with English professor (which resulted in the drastic alteration of my research paper thesis...which mean a lot of re-writing)
Thursday- I had no classes but I did four loads of laundry and a lot of homework
Friday- went to a women choir concert for FA 100 credit
Saturday- I went on an 8 hour geology field trip today. It was fun and interesting, but it was just way too long. To give you a quick overview of the trip we stopped at the Teton Dam site, then went up to Island Park Caldera , then to several points around Hebgen Lake in Montana, then stopped in West Yellowstone for lunch and headed home. We thankfully spent most of our time on the bus but stopped every 20 min or so and got out to look at everything geologically significant. Once we got even close to the mountains it started snowing and the temperature dropped at least 15 degrees. We tried to get a good look at one of the campsites destroyed by the avalanche at Hebgen Lake, but it was buried under something like 4 feet of snow.

The Teton Dam site. They built it on fractured volcanic rock and used very loose soil to build it up. Needless to say, as soon as it was completed, it burst sending huge amounts of water everywhere. In recent Idaho news, they want to rebuild it, in the same spot, on the same fractured rocks that will, no matter what they do, let water through. Silly people.

Well I am looking forward to a relaxing break in a few weeks, and to getting this paper done with, and that test finished, and my next poster done, and putting together our journal....

No comments: