Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Tubing Toast Tale

Last night for a ward activity we went tubing. We started on a canal in the back yard of Brother Baldwin's house (he is in my bishopric) then tubed all the way to Rigby Lake for a cookout. It was fanatically fun, and ridiculously cold. I got to go twice cause I'm just cool like that. I wish I could do it every day of my life.

In other news I experienced a most ironic and awkward ending to my Social Psychology class. One of the guys in the class who is known for making snide remarks and sarcastic comments, said something at the very end of class that must have really set off my professor (I didn't even hear what he said) and they both started arguing nearly to the point of yelling. Class was officially over so we all awkwardly walked out. The ironic part is that this all occurred after we spent spent our second day discussing our Chapter 10 entitled Aggression. After I class my professor sent out an email apologizing to all of us for his behavior.

To close this post...I received back an assignment for my British Literature class in which I was to compose a monologue similar to one of Browning's. Reading mine in retrospect made me laugh. Enjoy.

As I rolled out of bed on a Friday morning
Try as I might to get the stick from my eyes
A queer smell caught my nose
And I wandered to find it
Into the kitchen I followed it hence
And found upon arriving a bowl of meal
Sweet cinnamon savor and milk to spare
I thought of sitting and eating alone
Before my comrades noticed it was gone
But there on the stove was waiting a pan
Which I had set out the night before
Knowing in the morning I would want some eggs
And perhaps some ham and toast
Turning from the meal that was not mine
I made a breakfast of my own
And to this day I will never know
If the meal was hot or if it was cold

2 comments:

Starr said...

Hey, do you think your prof actually staged the argument to have all of you experience the weirdness of observing aggression without being a participant?

Nice pseudo-Browning. Now you can re-read "My Last Duchess" and write a rave about how tasty breakfast treats count for more than some arrogant aristocrat's surname.

emily said...

Given his email apology I don't think it was intentional. But afterward as I was walking home, I was thinking about all the ways it applied to the chapter, and it fit pretty well. I guess I'll see for sure in class on Tuesday.