Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Wisdom Revealing The Truth

Wow what a day I had yesterday.
- I went in to the oral surgeon at 9:30am.
- The nurse hooked me up to the laughing gas and IV. Then took me off again to wait for the doctor to be finished with another patient.
- Doctor came in and started me again on the laughing gas. After at least a minute I started to feel floaty. It felt like I was fainting. I could feel myself not being able to control my breathing anymore and I could still hear voices. I felt fingers on my arm and heard the nurse say she was putting stuff into my IV to knock me out and I was able to respond. Then she asked me to open my mouth as wide as I could and put Vaseline on my lips and a plastic thing to hold my mouth open.
- My brain did a lot of thinking while I was under. I remember the weirdest loopiest dreamish thing was hearing the doctor say something and having it repeat 5 or 6 times, then the nurse reply (repeating 5 or 6 times), me needing to swallow and starting to (repeating 5 or 6 times), beginning to feel nauseous (repeating 5 or 6 times), me realizing that everything was repeating and starting to laugh only to have it repeat 5 or 6 times.
- I think it was after that craziness that I decided I was thinking too much and really just wanted to sleep. So I stopped thinking and relaxed. And it felt like my body was spinning, like I felt it, it was pretty cool.
- Then the next thing I remember is feeling the nurse touching my arm saying she was putting in more medication to help with the swelling and asking me how I was doing. I could hear myself respond, but couldn't feel my face yet. It was pretty cool as I slowly felt the feeling come back to all the parts of my body.
- After that I was pretty awake...I remember the ride home and chatting with my mom and all...no super loopy revealing of all my deepest darkest secrets or anything.

So after not being able to eat anything all morning, I was finally able to eat some yogurt at 1ish, and ate more for dinner along with some ice cream. Eating was fun since I couldn't feel my bottom lip all day. I wouldn't even feel that there was food on my lip until it dripped all over. Mom then fashioned me a bib out of paper towels. Today I was able to chew food, and spent an hour and a half consuming a bowl of macaroni. It really hurts to swallow, or touch the outside of my face, or chew on my back molars. But the Vicodin helps with the constant pain and also makes me super sleepy.

This is me right after I got home. I hadn't yet gotten around to removing the sticky things that they hooked up to the heart rate monitor. I'm really not very swollen any puffiness is because there is still gauze in my mouth. My lips are still a little bloody too.
My first icing...its only on one side so I could take a picture. I had to ice every half hour for an hour. I think I looked a little silly. But the cold felt so good!
This was taken last night before I went to bed. I was already starting to get a little swollen.
This morning. Not only is my hair a complete mess, but I am pretty swelled up! What makes me sad is that it hurts so much to laugh. Ben says that extraordinarily square jaw line makes me look like John McCain.

2 comments:

Starr said...

I think the heart-monitor pads could be the next big thing in fashion. It's oddly cool.

Hmmm, John McCain. Does that mean that you are going to inherit all his wife's money?

emily said...

I wish!! I would use it first to find a faster way to get rid of these extremely painful bulges!!