Monday, September 29, 2008

Aristotle's Redundant Inhumane Redundancy

I pretty bummed...

I got myself all excited to be getting a new roommate only to come back from my statistics class to find out that as of right now all plans to switch rooms have come to an abrupt halt. Apparently something to do with the housing office not wanting Amber (roommate-to-be) to switch for some reason. And so the tale continues...

I really need to do laundry but I don't feel like actually putting in the effort to get it done. I mean the laundry room is all the way next door! Definitely too much work, but I think I can pull off one more out fit from my remaining clean clothes. How about a BYU-I hoodie and no pants?? With the 70 degree weather my lack of pants might balance out the huge sweater!!

I read this morning, Aristotle's "On Memory and Reminiscence." Basically Aristotle goes on for about 8 pages about how remembering and recollecting are different things. I figured out pretty quickly in my annotating that he was just saying the same thing over and over again just with different big words. I guess in 350b.c. that was being smart. My favorite bit of Aristotelian knowledge gained today, "...indeed as a rule, slow people have good memory, whereas those who are quick-witted and clever are better at recollecting." This statement, while slightly amusing, does make more sense after reading his eight ridiculously redundant pages.

(lol)
I also re-discovered just how inhumane students can be. Upon arrive my professor announced that his grandmother (and used to be primary caretaker) had passed away and that on Wednesday we would not be having class because he would be speaking at her funeral. Immediately after he said that you could hear a ripple of "YES!", "Sweet!", Awesome." How wrong is that!?!?

No comments: