Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Gestaltian Kiva Dog

Do you see a dalmatian sniffing the ground? Or just a bunch of dots and smudges? According to Gestaltian Psychology, seeing the dog is due to the Law of Pragnanze (Yeah, pragnanze that!!), which states that our minds seek to organize and put order to everything we see. When my professor asked who could see the dog, not everyone raised their hands and he said, "Well if you can't there is a counseling center here on campus..." He's a funny, funny man.

In my sociology class we are learning about poverty and AIDS in Africa, and he showed us this website, kiva.org. Basically you can give money to people in third world countries to help them set up their businesses. It was incredible, as I got home and was bumping around on the site, I could see as the monetary goals were met for many of these aspiring entrepenures. Amazing.

Anyways, I just thought I would update all those helping to fund my education (ie. anyone who pays tithing), on what exactly I am learning here at this wonderful institution of learning.

1 comment:

Starr said...

Kiva is great. I first heard about it about a month ago through 101Cookbooks.com. Microcredit really does work!