Friday, October 31, 2008

A Lobotomist's Halloween

I learned what a lobotomy is today. And by learned I mean I watched one be performed over and over and over again in a wonderful PBS documentary entitled "The Lobotomist." Simply saying that I am now scarred for life would be an understatement. The image of ice picks....eyes....mutilated frontal lobes...


This is a 9 year old boy whose mother thought that he was being disruptive and acting out as a result to a mental illness. the answer was of course a lobotomy. Walter Freeman's son told PBS that the first ice picks used in these operations were straight from their freezer. One of Freeman's patients died because the pick slipped and went straight through her brain, when he let go of it to take a picture. Wow.

I suppose it was a perfect video to share with the class on a wonderful Halloween. My stomach however did not agree.

My apartment complex had a Halloween party last night, and mistakenly thinking that it might be fun, I went with my roommates dresses as a Nudist on Strike. There were however only 20 or so people there and they were dancing (I don't dance) so I left and went to watch "The Eye" at some friends apartment. It was much funner and a lot less embarrassing. Midnight peanut butter cookies and a glass of milk sent me off into a wonderful slumber that lasted until 4am when my roommate got up to go to work.

No comments: